ALOA’s Positive ID Policy
ALOA locksmiths are instructed to use the following Positive Identification Policy
when servicing lockouts or orders for keys by code:
1. Notify Caller- When a call comes in to request lockout services or code keys, ask the
caller if he/she has identification and authority to open the lock. Advise them of the
requirements of the Positive Identification Policy.
2. Complete Form- Upon arrival at the job site or when the customer comes in, the
locksmith should complete an Authorization for Security or Emergency Services Form
that asks for the name, address, phone number, identification number and property
description from the customer. If the keys are to be mailed, this can be done by fax or
3. Verify I.D- Verify the customer’s photo-identification card and compare it to the
information provided by the customer. If no photo-ID card is available, ask for some other
reasonable form of ID.
4. Verify Authority- The locksmith should inquire as to what authority the customer has to
open the lock, and request to see any reasonable and appropriate evidence that could
verify the authority.
5. Ask for Signature- Ask the customer to sign the Authorization Form, which should
contain a statement that (a) the information given by the customer is correct, (b) the
customer has the authority to open the lock, and (c) the customer shall indemnify and
hold harmless the locksmith against liability.
6. Optional Last Resort- If you have any suspicions that the customer is giving false
information or does not have authority to open the lock, say that you will be happy to
open the lock provided a law enforcement officer is present. If the customer agrees, call
the police; if not, leave.
7. File the Form- Keep the Authorization Form on file for a reasonable period of time.
(Minimum of three years)
Authorization for Security and or Emergency Services (The link to the form on the ALOA site)
I hereby certify that I have the authority to order the lock, key, safe and security services indicated
below. Further I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the locksmith who bears this authorization
from any and all liability or claims that may arise from the performance of such services.
Signature X Date:
Customer Signature X Date: